Music Exchange – South Africa’s independent music Conference
Music Exchange with Sipho “Hotstix” Mabuse
Brief Description of event:
Music Exchange is a 2 day conference where seasoned professionals come together to impart their knowledge of the industry. They are encouraged to give real life scenarios and engage with delegates at the conference. Empowering them with tools to enable them to make a sustainable living out of their passion for music. Delegates after attending the Conference will thus gain a better understanding of “The business of Music”:
The conference will present a full program of panel discussions and keynote addresses from various industry perspectives.
From contract discussions to the age of digital delivery and beyond, this two-day conference aims to give creative’s an insight into the workings of the business as well as ask hard questions of those professionals who “know it all”! Delegates will hear about the future of music from the “who’s who” of the music industry. They will find out what they need to do to get where they need to be when the changes in our business create new models and how you can fit into them.
Past Conferences boast Keynote talks and panel discussions from global experts in the music industry which blew everyone away and was executed with military precision. Stuart Rubin, David Vodicka, Arthur Goldstuck, Yoel Kenan and Nick Matzukis are just some of the movers and shakers who imparted their knowledge to an awestruck audience. A surprise visit and talk by Charles Goldstuck, former COO of Sony BMG worldwide went down a storm and firmly entrenched the inaugural conference as a force to be reckoned with in terms of shaping the South African music industry and grooming it for great things in years to come.
- To build a sustainable Entertainment career for Creative Talent whilst fostering the common good of the South African Entertainment Industry
- To provide a Platform where “Undiscovered Artists” are given the opportunity to showcase their talent to some of the Biggest Industry Leaders in South Africa and Abroad.
- To hold an independent conference that promotes good business to support talent in the South African music industry in order for them to become successful locally and ultimately internationally.
- To provide a conference that grows the business of in South Africa into a viable contributor to the local economy.
Short Term VISION
- To execute a world-class conference and capitalize on the success of Music Exchange 2009 and 2010
- To position Music Exchange 2013 as a credible, powerful and insightful industry conference where KEY Industry Leaders are encouraged to give Delegates of their Time / Knowledge and Expertise.
LONG TERM VISION
- To create a CENTRAL Music and Creative Knowledge Hub for Africa like Midem is to EUROPE and to Target other African Countries, hence creating more opportunities for Cape Town as a City with regards to Tourism.
Successful outcomes from the past conferences
- Evolver One collaborated with a manager at the 2010 Music Exchange conference and had success with their third album, which yielded 4 radio hits and earned them an invitation to the World Wide Radio summit.
- Goodluck applied the principles learned at the 2010 Music Exchange Conference and had a charting radio hit.
- 7th Son as a result of been introduced to Stuart Rubin (Australia – ex BMG Marketing Director) at the 2009 conference were directed by Stuart to re–record an Australian hit in SA after listening to the band called “The Boys Light Up” which later became their first HIT and Launched them to National Success – 5FM Airplay
Feedback from past conferences
Minister Cameron Dugmore has also been present at the past conferences and can vouch for the success and standard at which this conference is been held.
Many industry leaders have been present at this conference with SAMRO CEO quoting :
“I believe that this conference has contributed in significant ways to all of us -speakers and delegates alike- who had the privilege of attending .It left me with one of those strange feelings that I wished the entire industry was there. I look forward to next year’s conference with great anticipation.”
Nick Motsatse the C.E.O of S.A.M.R.O.
I was really impressed by the quality of the organization. It is by far the best music conference I have attended in Africa.
Yoel Kenan – CEO Africori
Musicians / Song Writers / Producers / Artist Managers / Promoters / Publishers / Sound Engineers / Music Colleges / Studio Owners / Record Label Companies / Music Stores / Media / Film / Advertising Agencies / Radio Stations both commercial / community and Internet Radio Stations are all welcome and have been present at past conferences.
Music Exchange is BIG on Social Investment
It is no secret that the list of seemingly insurmountable social, environmental and human concerns is growing far more quickly than the ability of traditional sectors to address them.
At the core of everything we do here at Music Exchange, we believe and always aim to give back as much as we can to develop the profound immense Talent of the Youth of this Country.
We have for this reason, partnered with the following Music Schools and Institutes and hope to Partner with many more in the future.
- Kaleidoscope Music School
- Cape Music Institute
- Woodstock Music Academy
- The Legacy School of Music
- African Dance and Music Technology
- Proudly Macassar Pottery
Music Exchange 2013 is proud to be associated with the music schools we have chosen to Partner with. It indeed OPENS UP the Doors of Knowledge and shares Information.
The opportunities that will come from the conference exposure will open doors that may lead to careers in both South Africa and abroad.
Some of the Music Conference organisers and Board Member of the conference had the following to say:
Martin Myers, Founder of Music Exchange and Owner of Triple M Entertainment talks about his History in the Music Industry and why he felt South Africa strongly needed a Music Conference that would also showcase the immense Talent found in SA. This indeed is one of the Core Elements of Music Exchange. The Rare Platform it provides for Undiscovered Artists to Showcase their talents in front of the Who’s’ who in the Industry. Delegates are encouraged to submit a demo and from these 5 to 10 bands will be selected and given the opportunity to showcase their talents at the showcase evening at the end of Day 1. Attendance will be free to delegate
Sipho”Hotstix “ Mabuse , SAMA lifetime Achievement winner / 46664 Ambassador / Philanthropist and fellow board member of Music Exchange – My Role at Music Exchange which is to interact with as many Aspiring and Established Artists alike. Music Exchange falls within the alignment of The Governments National Development plan which is Job Creation. Music creates so many Jobs not only in performance, recording but in all other industries such as Film and Television as well as Engineering, etc. It is so critical and Crucial for all those involved in the Arts to share our Knowledge and Experience with Young people.